Tuesday Feb 17, 2009
8:30am - 5:00pm
1 East Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604
The Symposium will consist of three panels in the morning, a lunch break, and three panels in the afternoon. An after-party is also being organized. Please see detailed conference schedule below.
- 8:30 am to 9:00 am
DePaul Center, 8th Floor
1 E. Jackson Blvd. Chicago
9:00 am to 9:30 am
- Daliah Saper, Saper Law Offices, LLC
- 9:30 am to 10:00 am
Panel 1: Using and Developing Open Source Software for Education and Research
- Dr. Xiaping Jia, Professor and Director of the Institute for Software Engineering at the School of Computing, DePaul University
- Dr. Konstantin Läufer, Professor, Dept. of Computer Science, Loyola University
- Dave Angulo, President, Angulo Consulting
- 10:15 am to 11:15 am
Panel 2: Leveraging Open Source and Commercial Software to Build Software
- Harper Reed, CTO Skinnycorp, Threadless, Inc.
- Brian Gorbett, Architect, Microsoft
- Sumit Nijhawan, Group Leader of Product Development, Infogix
- Scott VanDenPlas, Engineer - skinnyCorp/Threadless
- Phil Gomes, Senior Vice President with Edelman Digital
- 11:30 am to 12:30 pm
Panel 3: Open Source Business Models for the 21st century.
- Andy Angelos, Digital Influence Group, Zocalo Group
- Kevin P. Taylor, President, Obtiva
- Chris Cleveland, CEO and Founder of Dieselpoint, Inc
- Todd Pombert, SVP of IT Financial Services, NET(net), Inc.
- Michael Beumer, Director of Corporate Communications, Nextpoint.com
12:30 pm to 1:30 pm
- 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm
Panel 4: Legal implications of using open source software.
Open Source Litigation, a discussion of recent court decisions and pending cases
How using Open Source Impacts Patent Rights and Startup Acquisition Opportunities
- Daliah Saper, Intellectual Property and Business Attorney, Saper Law Offices
- Eric Waltmire, Patent Attorney, Erickson Law Group
- 2:45 pm to 3:45 pm
Panel 5: Open source licensing and implementation, a developer’s perspective.
- T.J. Alumbaugh, Computer Scientist, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Josh, Elithorpe, Intra Arts
- David Cuka, Vice President, Bank of America
- David Schach, President, X-Squared On Demand
- 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Panel 6: OSSCheck.com, Open Source Compliance Software, a demonstration.
- Christopher Lee, Partner, Kenetica