Saper Law Client Spotlight – From Miniskirt to Hijab
Saper Law’s Client Spotlight is a new series highlighting our various practice areas through client features. This month, we are shining a spotlight on our representation of authors and publishers by featuring Saper Law client Jacqueline Saper (yes, she’s related to Daliah Saper).
Meet Jaqueline Saper
Jacqueline Saper, named after Jacqueline Kennedy, was born in Tehran to Iranian and British parents. At eighteen, she witnessed the civil unrest of the 1979 Iranian Revolution and continued to live in the Islamic Republic during its most volatile times, including the Iran-Iraq War.
In her award-winning memoir, From Miniskirt to Hijab, she recounts her experience growing up in pre-revolutionary Iran and maturing from a teenager to mother during turbulent political and cultural reforms.
In addition to being an award-winning author, Saper is a panelist, instructor, and frequent lecturer for organizations worldwide. Her opinion essays and columns have been featured in several publications, including The Seattle Times, Foreign Policy News, and the Sun-Sentinel.
Negotiating the Book Deal
Saper Law served as legal counsel to Jacqueline Saper as she navigated the process of securing a publisher. Saper Law’s services included copyright counseling and registration as well as contract negotiations with Potomac Books, an imprint of the University of Nebraska Press.
Do you need similar assistance?
Saper Law attorneys understand the complexities unique to the modern publishing industry, including physical versus digital publication, new methods of distribution, and protecting intellectual property online.
Print & publishing matters handled by Saper Law include:
- Copyright clearance and counseling, including fair use and public domain considerations
- Copyright registration and licensing
- Negotiating Agent, Editor, and Publishing Agreements
- Negotiating Film and other Ancillary Rights, including merchandising deals
- Trademark counseling as it relates to any series of works
- Advising on best royalty rates depending on digital or physical distribution
- Advising co-Authors and other collaborators on intellectual property ownership
For more information about Saper Law’s print and publishing services, contact Saper Law at 312-527-4100 or book a consultation here.