Saper Law represents a broad spectrum of entertainment industry professionals and businesses. Our firm’s expertise in media and technology means we stay up-to-date on the ever-shifting legal landscape of the industry. We understand the unique legal complexities and challenges for industries such as music, film, fashion, and visual art.
From negotiating complex licensing deals to protecting intellectual property, Saper Law attorneys have the expertise required to manage the legal and business affairs of entertainment clients, large and small.
Entertainment cases handled by Saper Law include:
- Represented a record label and a musical group in a trademark dispute over the band name.
- Represented a musical venue in Chicago in a dispute over licensing fees with a performance rights society.
- Assisted several filmmakers in gaining the permissions necessary for using songs and other copyrighted works in their films.
- Drafted an operating agreement, corresponding copyright agreements, and other production, location, and crew agreements for a film project.
- Provided counsel for documentary filmmakers launching a web-based television program.
- Set up a limited liability company, prepared an operating agreement, and provided a variety of production contracts for a feature-length film on the film festival circuit.
- Counseled documentary filmmakers on the use of a university’s name, another company’s advertisements, and television footage for an appearance on cable news channels.
- Represented a filmmaker in negotiations for a new DVD distribution agreement.
- Represented a musician in pursuit of unpaid licensing fees from a grant of synchronization and soundtrack rights.
- Reached a favorable settlement in a dispute involving unauthorized recording and radio play of a musician’s performance.
- Advised a client in negotiating a book publishing agreement for an instructional/educational book.
- Assisted a children’s book author in securing the copyright on the text of his book and illustrations created by another creator.
- Assisted a jewelry company in defending trademarks, resolving contract disputes, securing new trademarks and copyrights, and reviewing marketing materials.
- Assisted a fashion designer in evaluating the strength of their trademark rights and instances of possible trademark infringement.