This Saturday, Daliah Saper will be volunteering her time as a mentor for the Chicago Artists Coalition’s 20/20 Legal Workshop.
SATURDAY, APRIL 13 | 11AM – 3PM
Chicago Artists Coalition | 217 N. Carpenter St., Chicago, IL 60607
This workshop will introduce you to relevant legal issues, resources and provide general legal guidance to better manage your practice. Kicking things off is a presentation on intellectual property, tips for negotiating contracts and protecting yourself online, followed by 20-minute, informal, individualized sessions with lawyer volunteers from Lawyers for the Creative Arts and Lifestyle Zen.
20/20 is a new series of 1-on-1 sessions for artists to meet individually with experienced professionals and sharpen specific career goals and skills. Taking place four times over the year, each 20/20 session is dedicated to a particular topic, including: proposal writing and artist statements; career planning and time management; legal, business and taxes; and contracts and negotiations. Each session begins with a short expert presentation, followed by 20 minute individualized sessions that attendees must register for in advance. Participants have the option of registering for the panel discussion only, or the panel plus an individualized session. The series is open to artists of all disciplines.
Please note: The attorneys participating in this program will interview artists to better understand each artist’s legal needs and recommend whether or not the artist should retain an attorney or otherwise seek a referral to counsel to perform legal work. By registering to participate, each artist agrees that the he/she is not represented by an attorney who volunteers during the program and that no attorney-client relationship will be formed.
HOW TO REGISTER:
A “Pay What You Can” option is available; contact programs@chicagoartistscoalition for more details.
11:00 am – 12:30 pm:
“10 Quick + Dirty Legal Tips for Creative Entrepreneurs: Negotiating Contracts, Intellectual Property and a Little Social Media in Between” by Patrice Perkins of Lifestyle Zen, a law firm that focuses on creative entrepreneurship and working with artists.
1:00 pm – 3:00 pm:
Individual 20-minute meetings with lawyers from Lifestyle Zen and attorneys who volunteer legal assistance through Lawyers For The Creative Arts. (Limited space available; must register in advance).
- Kate Battle – Staff Writer, Lawyerist Media, LLC; Publicist, Novo Arts, Inc.; Volunteer, Lawyers For The Creative Arts
- Andrew Hendren Artist Consultant experienced in contract drafting, negotiation & legal advising on starting a non-profit
- Heather Liberman – Associate, Leavens, Strand, Glover & Adler LLC; Volunteer, Lawyers For The Creative Arts
- Travis Life – Principal, Life Law Office; Volunteer, Lawyers For The Creative Arts
- Patrice Perkins – Lawyer and CEO of Lifestyle Zen Law Firm
- Chanda Rice – Associate, Kirkland & Ellis LLP; Volunteer, Lawyers For The Creative Arts
- Marci A. Rolnik – Legal Director, Lawyers For The Creative Arts
- Daliah Saper – Principal, Saper Law Offices, LLC; Volunteer, Lawyers For The Creative Arts
- Stacy Streur – Lawyer at Streur Law Firm, Volunteer, Lawyers For The Creative Arts
Have questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.